Skip to main content
Pikeville College Yearbooks
 
Pikeville Collegiate Institute
Browse Collection
Read The Beginnings of Pikeville College
Read The First Seventy-Five Years of Pikeville College 1889-1964
Read Pikeville College Looks to the Hills 1889-1989

This material is a collection of items focused on the early years of the Pikeville Collegiate Institute and later Pikeville College. Founded in 1889 by the Ebenezer Presbytery, the school was meant to provide learning to a people in a rural, mountainous land, where schools were small and sporadic. Grade schools had only been in the area since 1830, and there were no high school near Pikeville. The few teachers available to the grade schools had barely enough education to read and write themselves, and the school year was only five months long.

On November 1, 1888, the group designated Pikeville as the area for their school. Pikeville was not only one of the most prosperous towns at the time, but also centrally located. This meant that the school would be equally accessible to other mountain communities in Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia where similar conditions prevailed.

The first building, still known by many as the Academy, though it now houses the University's Coleman College of Business, was constructed with bricks made by many of its future students. The school's first President, Rev. David Blyth, contributed his own money and labor to the building's construction.

A labor of love for many, the Pikeville Collegiate Institute opened on September 16, 1889 with 125 pupils. It graduated its first class in 1894, despite challenging years of a typhoid epidemic and decrease in funding.

In 1899, after a tumultuous 10 years filled with changing leadership, James F. Record became President of the Institute. Under his leadership, funding and enrollment grew, and in 1909, the school became a chartered college with the ability to provide four-year degrees. Despite the charter, the school decided to maintain the level of a junior college. It wasn't until 1957 that the school awarded its first baccalaureate degrees.

The growth of the school led to the construction of the Administration Building in 1925. College classes were moved to this building, and eventually a separate Academy building was constructed for the high school students, while the elementary students remained in the Collegiate building. By 1958, the Academy was closed. The grade school remained longer, serving as a training school for students studying Elementary Education

 

Resources:

Kinder, Alice. (1989). Pikeville College Looks to the Hills, 1889-1989. Pikeville, KY: Pikeville College.

92-00 Pikeville College Collection. Special Collections and Archives, Frank M. Allara Library, University of Pikeville, Pikeville, Kentucky.

Learn more about the individuals that helped form the University of Pikeville:


Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK